PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION:
The Construction Technician is responsible for representing Pigeon Telephone on-site for fiber-optic cable construction and overseeing installation of fiber and copper service drops. This position works closely with contractors and requires a high level of accuracy in order to ensure that facilities are placed properly according to prints supplied by engineering.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilizes utility maps, prints, and aerial imagery to assist in identifying placement of fiber-optic facilities and service drops.
- Assists contractor with placement of cables, service drops and other materials as necessary to ensure work is completed according to company standards
- Prepares fiber and copper cables and hand holes for splicing before splice team arrival.
- Maintains detailed and accurate records and documents.
- Maintains inventory of necessary supplies/materials at remote job sites and coordinate transport of materials between plant staff and contractor.
- Acts as backup to plant engineer by providing records of all construction completed.
- Communicates with team leaders, customers, and contractors to coordinate daily tasks to prioritize work activities to determine travel route and timeliness.
- Performs outside plant activities which include but are not limited to applying NID’s to buildings, preparing for service drops using plant equipment or hand-spading and assisting splice team as needed.
- Marks the location of existing underground fiber and copper assets on roadways, private property, and other locations, as appropriate and needed, using required spray paints, flags and other equipment.
- Maintains plant facilities, company vehicle and communicates changes or issues to management.
- Performs other plant functions as directed.
- Performs job duties within Company health and safety requirements.
- Other duties as requested or required by management.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Ability to read and understand prints and other engineering documentation.
- Experience in the telecommunications industry preferred.
- Experience in field design and staking fiber to the premise preferred.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to document work activities using laptop computer and transmit completed tickets.
- Excellent verbal and communications skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Meet MDOT requirements for medium duty commercial vehicles.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background screening.
Travel Requirements: Daily travel throughout service area is required.
Work Environment: This job operates outdoors in all weather conditions and all types of terrain.
Dress should be appropriate for outdoor work and must meet safety requirements.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time regular position where hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional overtime may be necessary as requested by management. This position requires on-call responsibilities.